Tuesday 8 November 2011

The Absurd makes sense

As I cycled to check out a swimming pool centre in our area, It dawned on me that I have become part of a society that follows a straight and narrow line. Riding your bike on the other side of the road, crossing the street a second earlier, blowing your horn...these are all actions that are heavily frowned upon and I find myself  frowning with masses. I never thought I would slide and fit so snugly into such a conservative structured society that just does things the way it does. You dont ask questions and you dont bend rules and that naughty side of you that wants to rebel doesn't even lift its mischevious head to try and test the system.

Things just work here and people just obey...its so strange. No cowboys and indians over here, just well behaved Danes.

Sometimes it gets a bit mundane and robotic for me when I really stop and think about it, I am used to jay walking, skipping red lights, speeding and swearing, pulling a finger or hooting at the elderly woman who just skipped the green light for the second time. But maybe thats all wrong and where I am right now is right.

I wont lie, I miss the unexpected..but it also means I am safer and that in its self is far more valuable to have.

When you first get to Denmark, you are so aware of how to cross the road, get on a bus, swipe a ticket, you are so aware of yourself and your actions, it becomes very annoying. But then you are here for a few weeks and it just works so well, why challenge the system? why go right when you know you are meant to go left.



Guess you need to be here to know what I am talking about...

No comments:

Post a Comment